Brian talks with Adrian Cockcroft (@adrianco, Technology Fellow at @BatteryVentures) about the recent Battery Ventures Open Source Summit (#BVOSS), trends in open source business models and how VC are thinking about investing in companies that leverage open source software.
Get a free book
from O'Reilly media or use promo code PCBW for a discount - 40% off Print Books and 50% off eBooks and videos.
- Topic 1 - It’s been awhile since you were on last. What are you focus areas these days?
- Topic 2 - Related to OSS-centric companies, Aaron and I discuss the “will they make any money” question all the time. BV had an event focused on this recently. What was the event?
- Topic 3 - There seemed to be a theme that OSS projects need to be delivered as-a-service. I saw a tweet that said, “Uber theme at #bvoss today: we need an OSS license that prevents AWS to make money off of our OSS code.”
- Topic 4 - There were several large end-customers (e.g. - banks) in attendance, talking about their OSS projects. Are they making any significant contributions to these projects, or is this mostly an effort to help them hire developers?
- Topic 5 - So what were the major takeaways from the conference?